Treatment & Diagnosis
At Sylvester/UMHC, our team of nearly 30 breast cancer experts, all faculty of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, works with the imaging experts at UHealth Imaging to provide patients access to the latest, most accurate technology for detecting and diagnosing breast cancer. Our diagnostic services include:
- Digital mammography including Tomosynthesis (3D mammography)
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast MRI
- Stereotactic, ultrasound and MR guided breast biopsies
- Combined PET/CT scan
- SPECT/CT scan
To learn more about breast health services and diagnostics at Sylvester/UMHC, or to schedule a breast imaging appointment in Miami, call 305-243-5512, in Deerfield Beach, call 954-571-0152, or our toll free number 866-584-1942.
Breast Cancer Treatment
The Braman Family Breast Cancer Institute at Sylvester offers state-of-the-art care and the latest treatment options. Our multidisciplinary team of breast cancer specialists work together to develop an individualized, comprehensive treatment plan for each breast cancer patient.
Treatment for breast cancer depends on the size, location, and stage of the tumor as well as the patient’s general health and other factors. Treatment may include:
- Surgery – The primary treatment for breast cancer, surgery involves removal of part or all of the breast tissue of the affected breast/s. Sylvester’s surgical oncologists are highly specialized in surgical options for breast cancer, including lumpectomy, partial mastectomy, total mastectomy, modified radical mastectomy, and skin-sparing mastectomy.
- Radiation Therapy – Sylvester’s radiation oncologists use the most advanced technology to deliver radiation externally or internally to breast tumors. Our arsenal of advanced radiation oncology tools includes three linear accelerators, RapidArc radiotherapy technology, and a Siemens 40-slice 4D-CT scanner for crystal-clear imaging.
- Chemotherapy – Chemotherapy can be administered intravenously or by a pill and is usually a combination of cancer-fighting drugs. The Comprehensive Treatment Unit (CTU) team at Sylvester administers chemotherapy treatments to patients in a 12,000-square-foot unit that includes 33 recliners and 11 private rooms at our main location in Miami. Chemotherapy and infusion treatments are also available at our Kendall and Deerfield Beach locations.
- Hormone Therapy – Hormone therapy for breast cancer may involve taking medications that interfere with the activity of a certain hormone or stop production of the hormones. Hormone therapy also may involve surgically removing a gland that is producing the hormones.
- Reconstructive Surgery – At the University of Miami Health System, plastic, aesthetic, and reconstructive surgeons have new medical techniques and devices that make it possible to reconstruct a breast that comes close in form and appearance to matching a natural breast. UHealth plastic surgeons work with Sylvester’s surgical oncologists to ensure the possible outcomes for breast cancer patients who have undergone a mastectomy or other breast surgery. The entire range of implant-based and autologous reconstruction is available, including TRAM, DIEP, SGAP and Latissimus breast reconstructions.
Make an Appointment with a Breast Cancer Specialist
For new Sylvester patients, the Ask for Ana patient access team can help you navigate the process of accessing care at the cancer center, including arranging your initial appointments with the many different types of doctors who may participate in your treatment. Ana Espinosa, D.N.P., R.N., and her team of cancer care coordinators provide new cancer patients with guidance, support, and advocacy. To get started, call 305-243-1000 or 877-243-1056, and “Ask for Ana.”
If you’re an existing Sylvester patient in need of a follow-up appointment, please call the Physician Referral Office at 305-243-5757 or 800-432-0191. You also can make an appointment online with one of our breast cancer specialists by filling out our secure online appointment form.