Agustin Pimentel, M.D.
- American Board of Internal Med-Hematology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Med-Medical Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- Hematology/Oncology - Internal Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Bone and Soft Tissue Cancer (Sarcoma)
Esophageal and Stomach Cancer
Head & Neck Cancer
Leukemia, Multiple Myeloma and Related Blood Cancer
Liver (Pimary) Cancer
Lymphoma, CLL/SLL, Leukemia (Hairy Cell)
Melanoma and Skin Cancers
Neuro-Oncology (Primary Brain and Spine tumors)
Pancreatic and Biliary Cancer
Prostate, Kidney, Bladder, Testis and Adrenocortical Cancer
Thyroid and Related Endocrine Tumors
Anti-angiogenic properties of novel endostatin fusion proteins through effects on gene expression in human endothelial cells (HUVEC) and solid tumor models. University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, FL.
A preclinical study to investigate the anti-angiogenic properties of antibody-endostatin fusion proteins developed in UM laboratory; with the objective to gain further understanding on how these novel agents regulate angiogenesis through their effects on RNA and gene expression first in human endothelial cells (HUVEC) , and subsequently solid tumors models including triple-negative breast cancer, uveal melanoma, ovarian cancer, and glioblastoma cell lines.
Clinical Features and Outcome of Adult T-cell Leukemia / Lymphoma: University of Miami Experience. Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, FL.
This is the largest single institution retrospective analysis of ATLL patients to date in the U.S. We studied patient characteristics, treatment patterns, and disease outcome of a large cohort of ATLL patients diagnosed over the past 25 years in the University of Miami Health System and Jackson Memorial Hospital. Over 125 ATLL cases has been analyzed for their disease subtypes, clinical features, molecular markers, and treatment outcomes to chemotherapy and/or antiviral therapy with AZT/IFNα therapy. Preliminary findings of this study were selected for Oral Presentation at the 16th International Conference on Human Retrovirology HTLV and Related Viruses.
CD30 Expression and Survival Outcomes in Adult T-cell Leukemia-Lymphoma Subtypes. Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL.
CD30 is a marker of activated T-cells that participates in regulating memory cells, and it is involved in multiple regulatory functions predominantly through the activation of NF-kB. This is a historic cohort study of CD30 expression in ATLL cases at initial diagnosis conducted in the University of Miami. A second part of the study consisted of the evaluation of CD30 expression as a potential marker for prognosis and disease behavior in ATLL subtypes Study results were selected for Poster Presentation at the 2013 International Conference on Human Retrovirology HTLV and Related Viruses and the 2013 ASH Annual Meeting.
IRF-4/MUM-1 Expression as a Predictive Biomarker in Adult T-cell Leukemia-Lymphoma Subtypes. Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL.
IRF-4/MUM-1 expression has been associated with interferon resistance in preclinical studies, and is a poor prognostic marker in some lymphomas. A cohort of ATLL cases was analyzed for IRF-4/MUM-1 expression using immunohistochemistry, or western blot analysis in some cases where fresh or DMSO preserved ATLL cells were not available. The expression of IRF-4/MUM-1 was investigated and correlated with treatment outcome in ATLL subtypes with the purpose to evaluate IRF-4/MUM-1 as a potential biomarker for treatment selection in ATLL.
Results were selected for Poster Presentation at the 2013 ASH Annual Meeting.
Genomic Alterations in Adult T-Cell Leukemia-Lymphoma. Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL.
A comprehensive genomic analysis of 47 ATLL patient tumor specimens was performed using high-density oligonucleotide array comparative genomic hybridization (CGH) to study the distinct patterns of genetic aberrations in ATLL endemic in the Western World. Study results were selected for Poster Presentation at the 2014 ASH Annual Meeting.
United States In-Service Exam for Medical Oncology Fellows, conducted by American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO
Academic Excellence Award for Outstanding Grades in Clinical Core Clerkships (3rd top in school class),
Selected as Teaching Assistant in the Pharmacology Department
2013 Research Fellow
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center / University of Miami / Jackson Memorial Hospital
2013 Hematology and Medical Oncology Fellowship Program
Jackson Memorial Hospital / University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
2009 Internal Medicine Residency Program
The Reading Hospital and Medical Center
2006 Internal Medicine Residency Program
Sanatorio Otamendi Hospital
University of Buenos Aires School of Medicine
- Yehuda ED, Dammrich D, Fabregas CJ, Pimentel A, Stefanovic A, Hoffman JE. Clinical Experience Of Lenalidomide Plus Low Dose Dexamethasone As First-Line Therapy For Multiple Myeloma At a Large County Hospital Caring For An Indigent Population. Abstract selected for online publication in Blood on the ASH abstracts site (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts), 2013.
- Strasfeld L, Espinosa-Aguilar L, Gajewski J, Stenzel P, Pimentel A, Mater E, Maziarz RT. Emergence of Cunninghamella As a Pathogenic Invasive Mold Infection in Allogeneic Transplant Recipients. Published in Clinical Lymphoma, Myeloma and Leukemia. 2013 July 10. PMID: 23850285
- Pimentel A, Velez M, Barahona L, Swords R, Lekakis L. New prospects for Drug Development – The Hedgehog Pathway revealed. Focus on Hematologic Malignancies. Published in Future Oncology, 2013 May; 9(5):681-97. PMID: 23647297.
- Uribe Bojanini E, Loaiza-Bonilla A, Pimentel A. Prekallikrein Deficiency Presenting as Recurrent Cerebrovascular Accident: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Published in Case Reports in Hematology, Aug 2012:723204. PMID: 22953077.
- Pimentel A, Haupt R, Sihelnik SA, Kimmel WB, Swierczynski SL. Focal Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis (LCH) Coexisting with Renal Cell Carcinoma. Published in Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2011, 29(5):e107-9. PMID: 21098320.
- Pimentel A, Forman DA, Swierczynski SL, Donato AA, Le B. Intracerebellar Granulocytic Sarcoma Presenting as a First Manifestation of Relapse in Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) During Imatinib Mesylate Therapy: A Case Report and Literature Review. Published online in Blood on the ASH abstracts site (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts), 2009. 114 (22): Abstract 4289.
- Belloti FJ, Blanco JB, Caamaño M, Pezzutti LA, Pimentel A, Scacchi PA. Sistema de Salud en España. Published in “Sociedad Argentina de Administración de Organizaciones de Atención de la Salud y Salud Pública”, Journal of The Argentine Medical Association. 2001; volume 4: 48-58.