Adam Wanner, M.D.
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Med-Pulmonary Disease
- Pulmonary Disease - Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Joseph Weintraub Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics and Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Medicine
- Scientific Director Alpha-1 Foundation
Pulmonary Medicine, Asthma and COPD
1972 Pulmonary Fellowship
Mount Sinai Medical Center MB
Jefferson Medical; College
University of Basel
University of Basel School of Medicine
Kantonsspital, Switzerland; Philadelphia General Hospital
Mount Sinai Medical Center
- See bio (personal)
Provide the following information for the Senior/key personnel and other significant contributors.
Joseph Weintraub Professor of Medicine
eRA COMMONS USER NAME (credential, e.g., agency login)
EDUCATION/TRAINING (Begin with baccalaureate or other initial professional education, such as nursing, include postdoctoral training and residency training if applicable.)
INSTITUTION AND LOCATION
FIELD OF STUDY
University of Basel, Switzerland
B. Positions and Honors
Positions and Employment
1966-1967 Assistant Thurgauische Heilstaette, Davos, Switzerland
1967-1968 Medical Internship, Philadelphia General Hospital (Jefferson Medical College)
1968-1970 Medical Residency, Kantonsspital Aarau, Switzerland
1970-1972 Pulmonary Fellowship, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach
1972 ABIM Internal Medicine
1974 ABIM Pulmonary Medicine
1972-1975 Associate, Pulmonary Division, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach
1974-present Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of Medicine, University of Miami
1983-present Professor of Biomedical Engeneering, University of Miami
1994-present Professor of Pediatrics, University of Miami
1983-2005 Chief, Division of Pulmonary/CC, University of Miami
1998-2006 Vice Chair for Research, Department of Medicine, University of Miami
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
1983-1985 President, Florida Thoracic Society.
1984-1988 NIH Study Section: Clinical Sciences II. (Chairman, 1987-88).
1984-1988 VA Merit Review Board (Respiration) (Chairman, 1986-88).
1987-1993 Governor (Florida), American College of Chest Physicians.
1993-present United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
2002-present Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences (since 2002)
2001-2002 American Thoracic Society President
2004-present Chairman, NHLBI-CCRN DSMB
2006-present Scientific Director, Alpha-1 Foundation
1980-1985 American Review of Respiratory Disease
1980-1999 Journal of Applied Physiology
1984-1993 Pediatric Pulmonology
1987-1992 Pulmonary Pharmacology
1993-present Journal of Aerosol Medicine
1998-2006 American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
2004-present Deputy Editor, Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society
1968 Best Intern of the Year - Philadelphia General Hospital, Philadelphia, PA.
1974 Elected Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians
1976 Elected Fellow of the American College of Physicians
2003 Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award - University of Miami, Miami, FL.
2010 Distinguished Scientist Award, Hungarian Respiratory Society
2010 John Butler Lifetime Achievement Award (University of Washington).
C. Selected Peer-reviewed Publications (from 257 peer-reviewed publications)
- Zschauer AOA, Sielczak MW, Wanner A. Norepinephrine-induced contraction of isolated rabbit bronchial artery: role of α1- and α2-adrenoceptor activation. J Appl Physiol 1997; 82:1918-1925.
- Kumar SD, Emery MJ, Atkins ND, Danta I, Wanner A. Airway mucosal blood flow in bronchial asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 158:153-156.
- Zschauer AOA, Sielczak MW, Wanner A. Altered contractile sensitivity of isolated bronchial artery to phenylephrine in ovalbumin sensitized rabbits. J Appl Physiol 1999; 86:1721-1727.
- Brieva JL, Danta I, Wanner A. Effect of an inhaled glucocorticosteroid on airway mucosal blood flow in mild asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161:293-296.
- Kumar SD, Brieva JL, Danta I, Wanner A. Transient effect of inhaled fluticasone on airway mucosal blood flow in normals and asthmatics. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161:918-921.
- Brieva JL, Wanner A. Adrenergic airway and airway vascular smooth muscle responsiveness in healthy and asthmatic subjects. J Appl Physiol 2001; 90:665-669.
- Horvath G, Lieb T, Conner GE, Salathé M, Wanner A. Steroid sensitivity of norepinephrine uptake by human bronchial arterial and rabbit aortic smooth muscle cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2001; 25(4):500-506.
- Horvath G, Torbati A, Conner GE, Salathe M, Wanner A. Systemic ovalbumin sensitization downregulates norepinephrine uptake by rabbit aortic smooth muscle cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2002; 27:747-751.
- Mendes ES, Pereira A, Danta I, Duncan RC, Wanner A. Comparative bronchial vasoconstrictive efficacy of inhaled glucocorticosteroids. Eur Respir J 2003; 21:989-993.
- Horvath G, Sutto Z, Torbati A, Conner GE, Salathe M, Wanner A. Norepinephrine transport by the extraneuronal monoamine transporter in human bronchial arterial smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2003; 285:L829-L837.
- Pereira A, Mendes E, Ferreira T, Wanner A. Effect of inhaled racemic and (R)-albuterol on airway smooth muscle in healthy and asthmatic subjects. Lung 2003; 181(4):201-211.
- Wanner A, Kumar SD, Brieva JL, Mendes ES. Adrenergic-glucocorticoid interactions in the regulation of airway blood flow. Arch Physiol Biochem 2003; 111(4):319-321.
- Horvath G, Wanner A. Molecular targets for steroids in airway vascular smooth muscle. Arch Physiol Biochem 2003; 111: 341-344
- Mendes ES, Campos MA, Hurtado A, Wanner A. Effect of montelukast and fluticasone mucosal blood flow in asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2004; 169:1131-1134.
- Wanner A, Horvath G. Brieva JL, Kumar SD, Mendes, ES. Non-genomic actions of glucocorticoids on the airway vaculature in asthma. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2004; 1:235-238.
- Horvath, G, Wanner, A. Inhaled corticosteroids: Effects on the airway vasculature in bronchial asthma. Eur. J. Respir Dis 2006; 27: 172-87.
- Wanner A, Campos MA, Mendes E. Airway blood flow reactivity in smokers. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2006
- Wanner A, Mendes ES, Atkins ND. A simplified non-invasive method to measure airway blood flow in humans. J Appl Physiol 2006; 100: 1674-8.
- Mendes ES, Campos MA, Wanner A. Airway blood flow reactivity in healthy smokers and in ex-smokers with or without COPD. Chest 2006; 129:893-8.
- Kanwaldeep R,Mendes E, Wanner A. Acute Effect of Cigarette
smoke and Nicotine on Airway Blood Flow and Airflow in Healthy Smokers.
Lung 2006; 184:363-8
- Horvath G, Schmid N, Fragoso M, Schmid A, Salathe M, Wanner A. Epithelial OCTN1/2
organic cation/carnitin transporters ensure pH dependent drug absorption in the airway.
Am J Resp Cell Mol Biol 2007; 36:53-60
- Horvath G, Vasas S, Wanner A. Inhaled corticosteroids reduce asthma-associated airway
hyperperfusion through genomic and non-genomic mechanisms. Pulm Pharmacol Ther
2007; 20: 157-162
- Horvath G, Mendes ES, Schmid N, Schmid A, Conner GE, Salathe M, Wanner A. The
effect of corticosteroids on the disposal of long-acting beta2-agonists by airway smooth
muscle cells. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 120: 1103-1109
- Mendes ES, Campos MA, Wanner A. Acute effect of a glucocorticosteroid on beta-
adrenergic airway and airway smooth muscle reactivity in patients with mild asthma. J
Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 121:700-704
- Mendes ES, Horvath G, Monzon ME, Casalina-Matsuda1 M, Wanner A. Endothelial
dysfunction in healthy smokers. J Appl Physiol 2008; 105: 54-57
- Morris NR, Ceridon ML, Beck KC, Strom NA, Schneider DA, Mendes ES, Wanner A,
Johnson BD. Exercise-related chainge in airway blood flow in humans: relationship to
changes in cardiac output and ventilation. Resp Physiol Neurobiol 2008, 162:204-209
- McCullagh A, Rosenthal M, Wanner A, Hurtado A, Padley S, Bush A.The bronchial
circulation--worth a closer look: a review of the relationship between the bronchial
vasculature and airway inflammation. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2010;45:1-13
- . Wanner A, Mendes ES. Endothelial dysfunction in asthma and COPD. Amer J
Resp Crit Care Med 2010; 182:1344-51
- Kirkpatrick B, Fleming LE, Bean JA, Nierenberg K, Backer LC, Cheng YS, Pierce R, Reich
A, Naar J, Wanner A, Abraham W, Baden DG. Aerosolized Red Tide Toxin
(Brevetoxins) and Asthma: Continued health effects after 1 hour beach exposure. Harmful Algae
- Fleming , Barbara Kirkpatrick, Lorraine C. Backer, CathyJ.Walsh,Kate Nierenberg, John Naar, Richard Pierce, Andrea J Bo Stuart Shalat, Porter Hoagland, Wendy Stephan, Judy Bean, Sharon Watkins, Tainya Clarke, Margaret Byrne, Daniel G. Baden. Review of Florida Red Tide and Human Health Effects. Harmful Algae 2011; 10: 224-233.
- Bokhari S, Willens H, Lowery M, Wanner A, DeMarchena E. Orthodeoxia platypnia
syndrome in a patient with lipomatous hypertrophy of inter-atrial septum due to chronic steroid use. Chest 2011; 139:443-445
- Horvath G, Mendes ES, Schmid N, Schmid A, Conner GE, Fregien N, Salathe M, Wanner A. Rapid
nongenomic actions of inhaled corticosteroids on long- acting beta-2-agonist trafficking by human airway epithelial and smooth muscle cells. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2011; 24: 654-659
- Mendes ES, Rebolledo P, Wanner . Acute effects of Salmeterol and Fluticasone alone
and in combination on airway blood flow in subjects with asthma. Chest 2012;141:1184-1189
D. Research Support
Ongoing Research Support
American Lung Association - Asthma Clinical Research Center (ACRC). Principal Investigator. 7/1/99-6/30/14 ($2,250,000).
Acute effect of momethasone on beta-adrenergic airway and airway vascular relaxation in moderately severe asthmatics (Schering-Plow 2010; $ 55,000)
Carrier-mediated absorption and clearance of tiotropium in the airway (BI 2009; $110,000)
Effect of an Inhaled Glucocorticoid-long-acting beta adrenergic agonist on Endothelial Function in COPD (GSK 2010; $ 62,500)
Airway and pulmonary vascular endothelial function in healthy smokers: Effect of inhaled glucocorticosteroid treatment (:GSK, $ 125,000)
Effect of Roflumilast on Airway Blood Flow as an Expression of Airway Inflammation in COPD (Forest, $ 199,000)
Completed Research Support
NIH NIEHS 1PO1 ES 10594 ZES1- Project Title: “Effects of inhaled Florida red tide brevetoxins” 7/1/00-6/30/11. Co-Investigator.
Florida RC1 grant 24248-The airway microbiome in COPD. 1/10/10-1/9/12. ($ 749,000). Principle investigator
NIH NIAID 1R18AI36908- School-Based Asthma Intervention Program, 9/1/94-08/31/03. Principal Investigator.
NIH NIAID HL58086 - Alpha-Adrenergic Regulation of Airway Blood Flow, 4/1/98-3/31/03. Principal Investigator.
NIH 1R43HL59024- Automated System for Telephonic Management of Asthma (Asthma). Co-principal Investigator. 04/1/99-03/31/01.
Acute effects of inhaled glucocorticoids on airway blood flow (GSK, 1999; $92,000).
Comparative vasoconstrictive actions of inhaled glucocorticoids (GSK, 2000; $49,000).
Racemic and R-albuterol on airway blood flow (Sepracor, 2000; $50,000).
Effect of anti-inflammatory therapy on airway blood flow in asthma (Merck, 2003; $48,000).
Airway blood flow reactivity in smokers with or without COPD. (GSK, 2004; $52,000).
Low-dose steroid pretreatment potentiates adrenergic airway and airway vascular responses in the airway (Sepracor, 2004; $50,000).
Role of airway blood flow in exercise-induced asthma (Merck 2005; $59,000).
Endothelial function in the airway of smokers (GSK 2005; $54,000).
Effect of budesonide on formoterol disposal (AstraZeneca, 2005; $89,406).
Interactive smooth muscle effects of salmeterol and fluticasone in the airway (GSK 2006; $ 50,625).
pH dependent drug transport mechanisms in the airway: implications for inhaled beta-2 adrenergic agonist therapy in asthma (AstraZeneca 2007; $ 166,703)
Effect of an inhaled glucocorticoid on endothelial function in cigarette smokers (GSK 2008; $73,831)