Erin N. Marcus, M.D.
- Fax: 305-243-4966
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
- Associate Program Director, UM/JMH Internal Residency Training Program
- Director for Education, UM/JMH Academic Internal Medicine Primary Care Residency Training Clinic
Health maintenance, preventive medicine, primary care medicine, women's health, marine toxins and human health
Health Communications, Underserved Populations, Screening and Prevention
University of Miami
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- Chapters: Marcus E., Isbister J. Jellyfish Stings. In: UpToDate, Rose, B.D. (Ed), UpToDate, Wellesley, MA, 2016.
- Other Publications: Marcus EN.. “Screening for Abuse May be Key to Ending It.” The New York Times “Science Times” section, May 20, 2008.
- Other Publications: Marcus EN. “Essay: Following Doctor’s Orders is Easy, If You Can Read.” The New York Times “Science Times” section, July 24, 2007.
- Book Review: Sanders L. Marcus EN. Advancing Health Literacy: A Framework for Understanding and Action. The New England Journal of Medicine. 356 (7): pp. 757-8. Feb. 15, 2007.
- Peer-Reviewed Scholarly Articles: Moshfeghi A. Rosenfeld P. Puliafito C. Michels S. Marcus EN. Lenchus J. Venkatraman AS. Systemic Bevacizumab (Avastin®) Therapy for Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration: 24-Week Results of an Uncontrolled, Open-Label Clinical Study. Ophthalmology. 113(11):2002.e1-12, Nov. 2006.
- Peer-Reviewed Scholarly Articles: Marcus EN. The Silent Epidemic -- The Health Effects of Illiteracy. The New England Journal of Medicine. 355 (4): pp. 339-341. July 27, 2006.
- Peer-Reviewed Scholarly Articles: Sanchez M. Gomes H.Marcus EN. Elevated CA 19-9 levels in a patient with Mirizzi Syndrome. Case Report. Southern Medical Journal. 99(2): pp. 160-163. Feb. 2006.
- Other Publications: Marcus EN. “Essay: When Young Doctors Strut Too Much of their Stuff.” The New York Times “Science Times” section, Nov. 21, 2006.
- Peer-Reviewed Scholarly Articles: Michels S. Rosenfeld PJ. Puliafito CA. Marcus EN. Venkatraman AS. Systemic bevacizumab (Avastin) therapy for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Twelve-week results of an uncontrolled open-label clinical study. Ophthalmology. 112(6): pp. 1035-47, June 2005.
- Peer-Reviewed Scholarly Articles: Marcus EN. Gayer S. Anderson D. Medical Evaluation of Patients Before Ocular Surgery. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 136 (2): pp. 338-9. Aug. 2003.
- Other Publications: Marcus EN. “Cases: When the Patient is Lost in the Translation.” The New York Times “Science Times” section, April 8, 2003.
- Other Publications: Marcus EN. “When TV Commercials Play the Doctor.” Op-Ed article, The New York Times, Jan. 3, 2003
- Other Publications: Marcus E. “Medical Residency Rules: Change is Needed, But to What?” Op-Ed article, The Miami Herald, Sept. 17, 2002
- Chapters: Marcus EN. Menopause. In: Harrigan R., Adler, J. emedicine: AAEM Emergency Medical and Family Health Guide. St. Petersburg. EMedicine Corporation, 2001.
- Chapters: Marcus E. Principles of Women’s Health. In: Kelley’s Textbook of Internal Medicine, H.D. Humes (Ed), Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2000.
- Marcus, EN, Yepes, M. Not just a radiologic term: The conundrum of explaining breast density to patients. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 12 (2013): 761-765.
- 2. Marcus, EN, Drummond, D., Kenya S., Dietz, N. Does a bite cause cancer? Breast cancer beliefs among urban low-income women in Miami, FL. Southern Med J. 106.12 (2013): 649-654.
- Marcus, Erin N., Tulay Koru-Sengul, Feng Miao, Monica Yepes, and Lee Sanders. "How do Breast Imaging Centers Communicate Results to Women with Limited English Proficiency and Other Barriers to Care?" Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health (Online First, Jan. 2013).
- 4. Marcus EN, Drummond D, Dietz, N. Urban Women’s Preferences for Learning of their Mammogram Results: A Qualitative Study. J Cancer Education. 2012: March 2012, Volume 27, Issue 1, pp 156-164 . DOI: 10.1007/s13187-011-0284-1
- 5. Tamariz, Leonardo, Ana Palacio, Mauricio Robert, and Erin N. Marcus. "Improving the Informed Consent Process for Research Subjects with Low Literacy: A Systematic Review." Journal of General Internal Medicine January 2013, Volume 28, Issue 1, pp 121-126 .
- 6. Marcus EN, Sanders L, Pereyra M, DelToro Y, Romilly AP, Yepes M, Webb Hooper M, Jones BA. Mammography Result Letters: Are They Easy to Read and Understand? J Women’s Health. April 2011, Vol. 20, No. 4: 545-551. PMID: 21428738.
- Marcus, EN. Bones of contention: Premature aging and bone loss emerge as new concerns with HIV. PositAware: Monthly J Test Positive Aware Network. 2011. 23 (1): 28-29. PMID: 21314024.
- 7. Marcus, EN. Anal Cancer. PositAware: Monthly J Test Positive Aware Network. 2015. 27 (1): 28-29.
- Chapters: Marcus E. Marine Toxins. In: UpToDate, Rose, B.D. (Ed), UpToDate, Wellesley, MA, 2016
- Marcus, EN. “More Sickle Cell Patients Survive, but Care is Hard to Find for Adults.” Kaiser Health News (khn.org), March 22, 2016. Republished in The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, The Houston Chronicle, and other publications.
- Ilangovan K, Kobetz E, Koru-Sengul T, Marcus E N, Rodriguez B, Alonzo Y, Carrasquillo O. Acceptability and Feasibility of Human Papilloma Virus Self-Sampling for Cervical Cancer Screening. Journal of Women's Health. February 2016, online ahead of print. doi:10.1089/jwh.2015.5469.
- Marcus, EN. "Muslim women's preferences in the medical setting; how might they contribute to disparities in health outcomes?". Journal of Women’s Health. Accepted and in press.
- Marcus, EN. “Access to Good Food as Preventive Medicine.” The Atlantic. April 7, 2014.
- Marcus EN. “A common problem few women want to talk about: Fibroids cause more than just pain.” The Washington Post. H1. March 24, 2014.
- Marcus EN. “Treatment Options for Women with Fibroids.” The Washington Post. March 24, 2014.
- Marcus, EN. "Post-Mammogram Letters Often Confuse More Than They Help." The Washington Post H1. Feb. 26, 2013.
- Marcus EN. Marine Toxins Other Than Ciguatera. In: UptoDate. Rose, BD (ed), Wellesley, MA, 2016