Christopher B. O'Brien, M.D.
- Office: 305-689-1800, Ext. 2
- Fax: 305-689-1820
- American Board of Internal Med-Transplant Hepatology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Med-Gastroenterology
- Transplant Hepatology - Internal Medicine
- Gastroenterology - Internal Medicine
- Medical Director of Liver and GI Transplantation
- Professor of Clinical Medicine
Novel antiviral therapy for hepatitis B Novel antiviral therapy for hepatitis C Antifibrotic therapy for cirrhosis Novel therapy for autoimmune hepatitis
Strathmores's Who's Who
America's Top Gastroenterologists
America's Top Physicians
Researcher of the Year
Excellence in Community Public Service Award
Phi Kappa Phi
1986 Fellowship Gastroenterology
University of Pennsylvania
1986 NIH Research Fellowship Clinical Nutrition
University of Pennsylvania
1984 Fellowship Hepatology
University of Miami
1981 Internship Internal Medicine
Jackson Memorial Hospital
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
University of Florida
- Peyton AL, Carrion A, Gutierrez J, Martin P, O’Brien CB, Levy C, Schiff ER, Bhamidimarri KR. Sofosbuvir and Simeprevir for Treatment of Hepatitis C Virus Infection in Liver Transplant Recipients. Liver Transpl 2015.
- Grigorian, A, O’Brien CB. Hepatotoxicity secondary to chemotherapy. J Clin Trans Hepatol 2014, 2:95-102.
- Levy C, Naik J, Giordano C, Mandalia A, O’Brien CB, Bhamidimari KR, Schiff ER, Martin P. Increased frequency of overlap syndrome and response to ursodeoxycholic acid in Hispanics with primary biliary cirrhosis. Clin Hep Gasto 2013 Dec 17. Epub 2013 Dec 17.
- Nicholas A, Chavez JG, Bhamidimarri KR, Martin P, O’Brien CB, Schiff ER. The development of drug rash with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS) in a patient with hepatitis C virus cirrhosis on telaprevir and review of the literature. J Clin Gastro 2012 submitted
- Woo G, O’Brien CB. Long term management of alcoholic liver disease. Clinics in Liver Disease 2012;16:763-781.
- O’Brien CB, Agresti N. NS5a inhibitors. Curr Hepatitis Rep 2012;11:181-187
- Agresti N, O’Brien CB, Deshpande A, Black J. Sitophia in a 27 year old male with celiac artery compression syndrome. 2012 Vascular submitted
- Carrion AF, Martin P, O’Brien C. Management of patients with chronic hepatitis B before and after liver transplantation: an update. Curr Hepatitis Rep 2012;11:102-110.
- Zeuzem S, Gane E, Liaw YF, Lim SG, DiBisceglie A, Buti M , Chutaputti A, Rasenack J, Hou J, O'Brien C, Nguyen TT, Jia J, Poynard T, Belanger B, Bao W, Naoumov NV. Baseline Characteristics and Early On-Treatment Response Predict the Outcomes of Two Years Telbivudine Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis B J Hepatology; 2009;51:11-20
- O’Brien CB. The Hospitalized patient with abnormal liver function tests (LFTs). Clin Liver Dis 2009;13:179-192.
- O’Brien CB. Review: Primary sclerosing cholangitis with multiple myeloma. Gastroenterology & Heptology 2008; 4: 5-7
- Zeuzem S, Gane E, Liaw YF, Lim SG, DiBisceglie A, Buti M, Chutaputti A, Rasenack J, Hou J, O'Brien CB, Nguyen TT, Jia J, Cho M, Kurdas OO, Poynard T, Belanger B, Bao W, Naoumov NV. Baseline Characteristics and HBV DNA Levels at Week 24 Predict the Outcomes of Two Years Treatment with Telbivudine. J Hep 2009; 51:11-20
- O’Brien C. Dynamic evolution of lab approaches to liver disease. Advan Admin Lab 2008; 17 (5):69-70.
- Lai CL, Gane E, Liaw YF, Hsu CW, Thongsawat S, Wang Y, Chen Y, Heathcote EJ, Rasenack J, Bzowej N, Naoumov NV, Di Bisceglie AM, Zeuzem S, Moon YM, Goodman Z, Chao G, Constance BF, Brown NA, for the Globe Study Group (O’Brien C). Telbivudine versus lamivudine in patients with chronic hepatitis B. N Eng J Med 2007; 357:2576-2588
- Gish RG, Arora S, Reddy KR, Nelson DR, O’Brien CB, Xu Y, Murphy B. Virologic response and safety outcomes in therapy-naïve patients treated for chronic hepatitis C with taribavirin or ribavirin in combination with pegylated interferon alfa-2a: a randomized phase 2 study. J Hepatology 2007 Jul;47(1):51-9.
- Shiffman ML, Suter F, Bacon BR, Nelson D, Harley H, Sola R, Shafran SD, Barange K, Lin A, Soman A, Zeuzem S, Crawford D, Leggett L, Roberts S, Weltman M, Greenbloom S, Menon K, Bourliere M, Brissot P,…O'BrienC, et al.; ACCELERATE Investigators. Peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin for 16 or 24 weeks in HCV genotype 2 or 3. N Eng J Med. 2007; 357(2): 124-134
- O’Brien C. Issues in designing and interpreting clinical trials of treatments for chronic hepatitis C. J Viral Hepatitis. J Viral Hepat. 2006 May;13 Suppl 1:6-14.
- Santos ES, Arosemena LR, Raez LE, O’Brien C, Regev A. Successful treatment of autoimmune hepatitis and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura with the monoclonal antibody, rituximab: case report and review of literature. Liver Int. 2006; 26: 625-9
- Arora S, O'Brien C, Zeuzem S, Shiffman ML, Diago M, Tran A, Pockros PJ, Reindollar RW, Gane E, Patel K, Wintfeld N, Green J. Treatment of chronic hepatitis C patients with persistently normal alanine aminotransferase levels with the combination of peginterferon alpha-2a (40 kDa) plus ribavirin: impact on health-related quality of life. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006 Feb;21(2):406-12.
- Fotana V, Ahn, YS, Horstman LH, Tzakis AG, O’Brien CB. Primary sclerosing cholangitis complicating plasma cell dyscrasia (PCD): remission of PCD following liver transplant. Eur J Haematol 2006; 76: 167-70.
- Prati D, Shiffman ML, Diago M, Gane ME, Reddy KR, Pockros P, Farci P, O’Brien C, Lardelli P, Blotner S, Zeuzem S. Viral and metabolic factors influencing alanine aminotransferase activity in patients with chronic hepatitis C. J Hepatology 2006;44:679-85.
- Neff GW, Shire N, Ruiz P, O’Brien CB, Garcia M, Montalbano M, delaGarza J, Rudich SR, Reddy KR. The importance of clinical parameters when differentiating cholestatic hepatitis C virus from allograft rejection. Transplant Proc 2005;10:4397-402
- Neff GW, O'Brien CB, Nery J, Shire NJ, Nishida S, delaGarza J, Montalbano M, Safdar K, Ruiz P, Rideman E, Gascon JA, Tzakis AG, Madariaga J, Rudich SM. Factors that identify survival after liver retransplantation for allograft failure caused by recurrent hepatitis C infection. Liver Transpl. 2004 Dec;10(12):1497-503.
- Neff GW, delaGarza J, Shire N, Nishida S, O'Brien CB, Safdar K, Madariaga J, Schiff E, Ruiz P. The long-term effects of immune suppression on liver transplant recipients with recurrent hepatitis C viral infection. Transplant Proc. 2004 Dec;36(10):3065-7.
- Neff GW, Montalbano M, O'Brien CB, Nishida S, Safdar K, Bejarano PA, Khaled AS, Ruiz P, Slapak-Green G, Lee M, Nery J, De Medina M, Tzakis A, Schiff ER. Treatment of established recurrent hepatitis C in liver-transplant recipients with pegylated interferon-alfa-2b and ribavirin therapy. Transplantation. 2004 Nov 15;78(9):1303-7.
- Zeuzem S, Diago M, Gane E, Reddy R, Pockros P, Prati D, Shiffman M, Farci P, Gitlin N, O'Brien CB, Lamour F, Lardelli P for the PEGASYS Study NR16071 Investigator Group. Peginterferon alfa-2a (40 kilodaltons) and ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis C and normal aminotransferase levels. Gastroenterology. 2004; 127(6):1724-32
- Regev A, Molina E, Moura R, Bejarano PA, Khaled A, Ruiz P, Arheart K, Berho M, Drachenberg CB, Mendez P, O’Brien C, Jeffers L, Tzakis A, Schiff ER. Reliability of histopathologic assessment for the differentiation of recurrent hepatitis C from acute rejection after liver transplantation. Liver Transpl. 2004 Oct;10(10):1233-9.
- Neff GW, Nery J, Lau DT, O'Brien CB, Duncan R, Shire NJ, Ruiz P, Nery C, Montalbano M, Muslu H, Safdar K, Schiff ER, Tzakis AG, Madariaga JR. Tenfovir therapy for lamivudine resistance following liver transplantation. Ann Pharmacother. 2004 Dec;38(12):1999-2004.
- Neff GW, O’Brien CB, Meyer D, DeManno A, Kahn S, Safdar K, Nishida S, Montalbano M, Tzakis AG, Schiff ER. Topical testosterone treatment for chronic allograft failure in liver transplant recipients with recurrent hepatitis C virus. Transplant Proc. 2004 Dec;36(10):3071-4.
- Neff GW, O’Brien CB., Nery J, Shire N, Montalbano M, Ruiz P, Nery C, Safdar K, De Medina M, Tzakis AG, Schiff ER, Madariaga J. Outcomes in liver transplant recipients with hepatitis B virus: resistance and recurrence patterns from a large transplant center over the last decade. Liver Transpl. 2004 Nov;10(11):1372-8.
- Montalbano M, Neff GW, Yamashiki N, Meyer D, Bettiol M, Slapak-Green G, Ruiz P, Manten E, Safdar K, O'Brien C, Tzakis AG. A retrospective review of liver transplant patients treated with sirolimus from a single center: an analysis of sirolimus-related complications. Transplantation. 2004 Jul 27;78(2):264-8
- Neff GW, O'Brien CB, Cirocco R, Montalbano M, De Medina M, Ruiz P, Khaled AS, Bejarano PA, Safdar K, Hill MA, Tzakis AG, Schiff ER. Prediction of sustained virological response in liver transplant recipients with recurrent hepatitis C virus following combination pegylated interferon alfa-2b and ribavirin therapy using tissue hepatitis C virus reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction testing. Liver Transpl. 2004 May;10(5):595-8.
- Neff GW, Ruiz P, Madariaga JR, Nishida S, Montalbano M, Meyer D, Levi DM, Tzakis AG, O'Brien CB. Sirolimus associated hepatotoxicity in liver transplantation. Ann Pharmacother. 2004 Oct;38(10):1593-6.
- Neff GW, O’Brien CB, Meyer D, DeManno A, Kahn S, Safdar K, Nishida S, Montalbano M, Tzakis AG, Schiff ER. Beneficial effects of topical testosterone replacement in patients with end stage liver disease. Dig Dis Sci. 2004 Aug;49(7-8):1186-9
- Safdar K, Neff GW, Montalbano M, Meyer D, O'Brien C, Yamashiki N, Schiff E, Tzakis A. Liver transplant for septuagenarians: importance of patient selection. Transplant Proc. 2004;36:1445-8.
- Neff GW, O'Brien C, Montalbano M, DeManno A, Kahn S, Safdar K, Nishida S, Tzakis A. Consumption of dietary supplements in a liver transplant population. Liver Transpl. 2004;10:881-5
- Montalbano M, Neff GW, Yamashiki N, Meyer D, Bettiol M, Slapak-Green G, Ruiz P, Manten E, Safdar K, O'Brien C, Tzakis AG. A retrospective analysis of liver transplant patients treated with sirolimus from a single center: a review of sirolimus-related complications. Tranplantation 2004;78:264-8
- Lee YM, O’Brien CB, Yamashiki N, Behro M, Weppler D, Tzakis AG, and Schiff ER. Preservation injury patterns in liver transplantation associated with poor prognosis. Transplant Proc. 2003 Dec;35(8):2964-6
- Feun LG, O'Brien C, Molina E, Rodriguez M, Jeffers L, Schiff ER, Marini A, Savaraj N, Ardalan B. Recombinant leukocyte interferon, doxorubicin, and 5FUDR in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma-A phase II trial. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2003 Jan;129(1):17-20.
- Pockros PJ, Patel K, O'Brien C, Tong M, Smith C, Rustgi V, Carithers RL, McHutchison JG, Olek E, Debruin MF A multicenter study of recombinant human interleukin 12 for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus infection in patients nonresponsive to previous therapy. Hepatology. 2003; 37(6):1368-74
- Neff GW, O'Brien CB, Reddy KR, Bergasa NV, Regev A, Molina E, Amaro R, Rodriguez MJ, Chase V, Jeffers L, Schiff E. Preliminary observation with dronabinol in patients with intractable pruritus secondary to cholestatic liver disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002; 97(8):2117-9
- Tamura S, Kato T, Berho M, Misiakos EP, O’Brien CB, Reddy KR, Nery JR, Burke GW, Schiff ER, Miller J, Tzakis AG. Impact of histological grade of hepatocellular carcinoma on the outcome of liver transplantation. Arch Surg 2001; 136(1): 25-30
- Tzakis AG, Kato T, Nishida S, Mittal N, Neff G; Nery J, O'Brien C, Ruiz P, Levi D, Pinna A. Evolution of gastrointestinal transplantation at the University of Miami. Transplant Proc. 2001; 33(1-2): 1545-9
- O'Brien CB, Moonka DK, Henzel BS, Caufield M, DeBruin MF.A pilot trial of recombinant interleukin-12 in patients with chronic hepatitis C who previously failed treatment with interferon-alpha. Am J Gastroenterol. 2001; 96(8):2473-9
- Joines RW, Blatter M, Abraham B, Xie F, De Clercq N, Baine Y, Reisinger KS, Kuhnen A, Parenti DL. A prospective, randomized, comparative US trial of a combination hepatitis A and B vaccine (Twinrix) with corresponding monovalent vaccines (Havrix and Engerix-B) in adults. Vaccine. 2001 Sep 14;19(32):4710-9
- Kato T; O'Brien CB, Berho M, Nishida S; Levi D, Khan FA, Pinna AD, Nery JR, Ruiz P, Tzakis AG. Improved rejection surveillance in intestinal transplant recipients with frequent use of zoom video endoscopy. Transplant Proc. 2000; 32(6): 1200
- Chatzipetrou M, Tsaroucha AK, Weppler D, Pappas PA, Kenyon NS, Nery JR, Khan MF, Kato T, Pinna AD, O'Brien C, Viciana A, Ricordi C, Tzakis AG. Thrombocytopenia after liver transplantation. Transplantation: 1999; 67:702-6.
- Kato T, O'Brien CB, Nishida S, Hoppe H, Gasser M, Berho M, Rodriguez MJ, Ruiz P, Tzakis AG. The first case report of the use of a zoom video-endoscopy for the evaluation of small bowel graft mucosa in a human following intestinal transplantation. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 1999; 50:257-61.
- O'Brien CB, Moonka DK, Henzel BS, Inverso J, Rook A. Extra-corporeal photopheresis alone and in combination with interferon alfa-2a for treatment of patients with chronic hepatitis C who have failed previous interferon therapy. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44:1020-6.
- Heathcote J, McHutchison J, Lee S, Tong M, Benner K, Minuk G, Wright T, Fikes J, Livingston B, Sette A, Chestnut R, and The CY-1899 T Cell Vaccine Study Group. A pilot study of the CY-1899 t-cell vaccine in subjects chronically infected with hepatitis B virus. Hepatology 1999; 30:531-6
- Dienstag JL, Schiff ER, Wright TL, Perrillo RP, Hann HL, Goodman Z, Crowther L, Condreay LD, Woessner M, Rubin M, Brown NA (for the U.S. Lamivudine Investigator Group). Lamivudine as initial treatment for chronic hepatitis B in the United States. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:1256-63
- Dienstag JL, Schiff ER, Mitchell M, Casey DE Jr, Gitlin N, Lissoos T, Gelb LD, Condreay L, Crowther L, Rubin M, Brown N (for the U.S. Lamivudine Investigator Group). Extended lamivudine retreatment for chronic hepatitis B: maintenance of viral suppression after discontinuation of therapy. Hepatology 1999; 30(4):1082-7
- Moonka D, Henzel BS, Gutekunst K, O'Brien CB, Quantitative assessment of hepatitis C virus RNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells during therapy with interferon alfa-2a. J Viral Hepat 1998; 5:27-33
- O'Brien CB, Pollack B.J., Furth E.E., Fox K. and Schnall M.D. Primary hepatic angiocentric lymphoma. Dig Dis Sci 1997; 42:427-30
- Lichtenstein GR, Kaiser LR, Tuchman M, Palevsky HI, Kotloff RM, O'Brien CB, Furth EE, Raps EC, Berry GT. Fatal hyperammonemia following orthotopic lung transplantation. Gastroenterology. 1997 Jan;112(1):236-40.
- O'Brien CB, Henzel B, Wolfe L, Gutekunst K, Moonka D. cDNA sequencing of the 5' non-coding region (5’-NCR) to determine hepatitis C genotypes in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Dig Dis Sci 1997; 42:1087-93
- Soloman JA, Levine M, O'Brien C, Jacobs JE. HIV colitis: clinical and radiographic findings. A J Roentgenol 1997; 168:681-2
- Faigel DO, Stotland BR, Kochman ML, Hoops T, Judge T, Kroser J, Lewis J, Long WB, Metz DC, O'Brien CB, Smith DB, Ginsberg GG. Device choice and experience level in endoscopic foreign retrieval: an in vivo study. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 1997; 45:490-2
- Kaur S., Rybicki L., Bacon B.R., Gollan J.L., Rustgi V.K., Carey W.D., and the National Hepatitis Surveillance Group. Performance characteristics of a large scale screening program for viral hepatitis and risk factors associated with exposure to viral hepatitis B and C: results of the national hepatitis screening survey. Hepatology 1996; 24:979-86
- O'Brien CB, Shields DS, Saul SH, Reddy RK. Drug-induced vanishing bile duct syndrome: response to ursodiol. Am J Gastroenterol 1996; 91:1456-7
- Rubin RA, Haskal ZJ, O'Brien CB, Cope C, and Brass CA. Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting: decreased survival for patients with high APACHE II scores. Am J Gastroenterol 1995; 90:556-63
- Levine MS, Borislow SM, Rubesin SE, O'Brien C. Esophageal stricture caused by a Motrin tablet (ibuprofen). Abd Imaging 1994; 19:6-7
- Batta AK, Salen G, Mirchandani R, Tint GS, Shefer S, Batta M, Abroon J, O'Brien CB, and Senior JR. Effects of long-term treatment with ursodiol on clinical and biochemical features and biliary acid metabolism in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis. Am J Gastroenterol 1993; 88:691-70
- Lefkowitch JH, Schiff ER, Davis GL, Lindsay K, Bodenheimer HC, Balart LA, Ortego TJ, Payne J, Dienstag JL, ... O'Brien CB, et al. Pathological diagnosis of chronic hepatitis C. A multicenter comparative study with chronic hepatitis B. Gastroenterology 1993; 104:595-603
- O'Brien CB, Senior JR, Arora R, Batta AK, Goin JE, and Salen G. Ursodeoxycholic acid for the treatment of primary sclerosing cholangitis: a 30-month pilot study. Hepatology 1991; 14:838-47
- Auteri AG, O'Brien CB, Long WB, and Malet PF. Submucosal gastric hemorrhage following extra corporeal shock wave lithotripsy of bile duct stones. Gastrointest Endosc 1991; 37:486-7
- Perrillo RP, Schiff ER, Davis GL, Bodenheimer HC, Lindsay K, Payne J, Dienstag JL, O'Brien C, et al. A randomized controlled trial of interferon alfa-2B, alone and after prednisone withdrawal for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B. The Hepatitis Interventional Therapy Group. N Engl J Med 1990; 323:295-301
- Gordon SC, Reddy KR, Gould EE, McFadden R, O'Brien CB, and Schiff ER. The spectrum of liver disease in the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. J Hepatol 1986; 2:475-85
- O’Brien CB. Serological diagnosis of Delta hepatitis. J Int Med 1986; 7:115-8
Christopher B. O'Brien, MD is Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of Miami School of Medicine and Chief of Clinical Hepatology and Research at the Center for Liver Diseases. Dr. O'Brien received his medical degree from The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. He completed a Fellowship in Hepatology at the University of Miami, and a National Institutes of Health Fellowship in Clinical Nutrition and a Fellowship in Gastroenterology, both at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr O’Brien was Medical Director of Liver Transplant at both the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. He served as Director of Clinical Activities of the Gastrointestinal Section and was Clinical Director of the Liver Center. He was the Director of the Hepatitis Laboratory and ultimately the Acting Chief of the Gastrointestinal Section at the University of Pennsylvania. He has published extensively and is the author of more than 180 abstracts, papers, and book chapters. Finally, Dr. O’Brien’s research credentials are extensive and he has served as the Principal Investigator of more than 80 Phase 1 to Phase 4 clinical trials investigating new treatments for chronic liver disease. As the Science Reviewer for the Center for Liver Diseases, he has been responsible for the overview of 139 research trials at the University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine.