Breelyn A. Wilky, M.D.
- Fax: 305-243-8796
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Med-Medical Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- Hematology/Oncology - Internal Medicine
- Assistant Professor, Sarcoma Program
Bone and Soft Tissue Cancer (Sarcomas)
Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PVNS)
Alpha Omega Alpha
Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation Research Grant
American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center Clinical Trial Acceleration Grant
Conquer Cancer Foundation/ASCO Young Investigator Award
Alpha Omega Alpha Postgraduate Award
Connie Caplan Medical Oncology Fellowship
Gold Humanism Honor Society
Johns Hopkins University
2006-2009 Internship and Residency
Johns Hopkins Hospital
2006 M.D. with Distinction in Research
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Wilky BA, Kim C, McCarty G, Montgomery EA, Kammers K, DeVine LR, Cole RN, Raman V, Loeb DM. RNA helicase DDX3: a novel therapeutic target in Ewing sarcoma. Oncogene. 2016 May 19;35(20):2574-83.
- Reiss KA, Rangachari D, Cosgrove D, Wilky B, Donehower R. Growing Pains: a Simulation-Based Curriculum for Improving the Transition to Hematology/Oncology Fellowship. J Cancer Educ. 2016 Jan 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sheth PJ, del Moral S, Wilky BA, Trent JC, Cohen J, Rosenberg AE, Temple HT, Subhawong TK. Aggressive Fibromatosis: MRI features of response to systemic therapy. Skeletal Radiol. (In press)
- Subhawong TK, Wilky BA. Value added: functional MR imaging in management of bone and soft tissue sarcomas. Curr Opin Oncol. 2015 Jul;27(4):323-31.
- Tinoco G, Wilky BA, Paz-Mejia A, Rosenberg A, Trent JC. The biology and management of cartilaginous tumors: a role for targeting isocitrate dehydrogenase. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2015:e648-55.
- Wilky BA, Rudek MA, Ahmed S, Laheru DA, Cosgrove D, Donehower RC, Nelkin B, Ball D, Doyle LA, Chen H, Ye X, Bigley G, Womack C, Azad NS. A phase I trial of vertical inhibition of IGF signalling using cixutumumab, an anti-IGF-1R antibody, and selumetinib, an MEK 1/2 inhibitor, in advanced solid tumours. Br J Cancer 2015 Jan 6;112(1):24-31.
- Li L, Paz AC, Wilky BA, Johnson B, Galoian K, Rosenberg A, Hu G, Tinoco G, Bodamer O, Trent JC. Treatment with a Small Molecule Mutant IDH1 Inhibitor Suppresses Tumorigenic Activity and Decreases Production of the Oncometabolite 2-Hydroxyglutarate in Human Chondrosarcoma Cells. PLoS One. 2015 Sep 14;10(9):e0133813.
- Kikuchi K, Hettmer S, Imran Aslam M, Michalek J, Laub W, Wilky B, Loeb D, Rubin B, Wagers A, Keller C. Cell-cycle dependent expression of a translocation-mediated fusion oncogene mediates checkpoint adaptation in rhabdomyosarcoma. PLOS Genetics, 2014 Jan;10(1):e1004107
- Wilky BA, Goldberg JM. Immunotherapy in sarcoma: a new frontier. Discov Med. 2014 Apr;17(94):201-6.
- Trucco MM, Awad O, Wilky BA, Goldstein SD, Huang R, Walker RL, Shah P, Katuri V, Gul N, Zhu YJ, McCarthy EF, Paz-Priel I, Meltzer PS, Austin CP, Xia M, Loeb DM. A Novel Chordoma Xenograft Allows In Vivo Drug Testing and Reveals the Importance of NF-?B Signaling in Chordoma Biology. PLOS One, 2013. 8(11): e79950.
- Wilky BA, Montgomery E, Guzzetta A, Ahuja N, Meyer C. Extrathoracic location and â€śborderlineâ€ť histology are associated with recurrence of solitary fibrous tumors after surgical resection. Ann Surg Oncol 2013, 20(13) 4080-9.
- Wilky BA, Meyer CF, Trent JC. Pazopanib in sarcomas: Expanding the PALETTE. Curr Opin Oncol. 2013, 25(4):373-8.
- Scannell C, Pederson E, Mosher J, Krook M, Nicholls L, Wilky BA, Loeb D, Lawlor E. LGR5 is expressed by Ewing sarcoma and potentiates Wnt/ß-catenin signaling. Front Oncol. 2013, 3:81.
- Thornton KA, Chen AR, Trucco MM, Shah P, Wilky BA, Gul N, Carrera-Haro MA, Ferreira MF, Shafique U, Powell JD, Meyer CF, Loeb DM. A dose finding study of temsirolimus and liposomal doxorubicin for patients with recurrent and refractory bone and soft tissue sarcoma. Int J Cancer 2013, 133(4): 997-1005.
- Wilky BA, Loeb DM. Beyond Palliation: Therapeutic Applications of 153Samarium-EDTMP. Clin Exp Pharmacol. 2013, 3:131.
I am a medical oncologist specializing in benign and malignant disorders of bone and soft tissue, including sarcomas. In addition to clinical care of patients suffering from these rare cancers, I am a clinical and translational researcher, working to develop new therapies apart from traditional chemotherapy approaches. I am particularly interested in the role of immunotherapy for sarcomas, and am currently leading three clinical trials at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center investigating immune checkpoint inhibitors and patient-derived vaccines. In addition to studying whether these treatment approaches can help patients with sarcoma, I also work with laboratory investigators to study the immune cells from patients treated on these trials, to understand how we can help the immune system fight cancer more effectively.
In addition to my research for sarcoma patients, I am an active member of our Phase I Site Disease Group and also participate in Sylvester's Personalized Medicine Initiatives, which aim to match patients to the best molecularly targeted treatments available based on the patient's own genetic sequencing results from tumor tissue.
Along with my exceptional colleagues in surgical oncology, radiation oncology, pediatric oncology, pathology, musculoskeletal and interventional radiology, and supportive care, our sarcoma team aims to provide each patient with the best, customized treatment plan to ensure everyone has the highest chances of conquering cancer, whether through standard treatments or the latest cutting-edge clinical trials.