Evan P. Cherniack, M.D.
- Office: 305-575-7000
- Fax: 305-243-4996
- American Board of Internal Med-Geriatric Medicine
- Geriatric Medicine - Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Director, Geriatrics Clinic, Miami VA Medical Center
Vitamin D, Alternative medicine in the Elderly, Disaster preparedness in the elderly
- PUBLICATIONS-BOOKS 1. Cherniack E.P. and Cherniack N.S.(eds.)(2003) Alternative Medicine in the Elderly. (Heidelberg: Springer Verlag).
- PUBLICATIONS-JOURNAL ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS 1. Bickers, D., Marcelo, C., Cherniack, E., and Mukhtar, H.(1982) Clotrimazole:An inhibitor of microsomal aryl hydrocarbon hydroxylase (AHH) in rat skin and Balb/C mouse culured keratinocytes. Clin. Res. 30 (4): A719.
- 2. Mukhtar, H., Marcelo, C.L., Cherniack, E.P., and Bickers, D.R.(1982) Clotrimazole: An inhibitor of microsomal aryl hydrocarbon hydroxylase in rat skin and Balb/C mouse cultured keratinocytes. Fed. Proc. 41 (5): 1730.
- 3. Mukhtar H, Link, C.M., Cherniack, E., Kushner, D.M., and Bickers, D.R. (1982) Effect of topical application of defined constituents of coal tar on skin and liver aryl hydrocarbon hydroxylase (AHH) and 7-ethoxycoumarin deethylase activities. Tox. Appl. Pharm. 64 (3): 541-9.
- 4. Mukhtar, H., Del Tito, B.J., Das, M., Cherniack, E.P., Cherniack, A.D., and Bickers, D.R. (1983) Clotrimazole: An inhibitor of epidermal benzo(a)pyrene metabolism and DNA binding and carcinogenicity of the hydrocarbon. Cancer Research 44 (10): 4233-40.
- 5. Blass, J.B., Cherniack, E.P., and Weksler, M.E. (1991) Theories of Aging in "The Practice of Geriatrics", 2nd Ed., (Calkins, E., Davis, P.J., Ford A.B., and Katz, P., eds.), Orlando, FL, W.B. Saunders Co.
- 6. Russo, C., Cherniack, E.P., Wali, A., Schwab, R., and Weksler, M.E. (1991) Non-MHC restricted, self-reactive TCR-bearing T cells in old mice. The FASEB Journal 5 (6): pt.3, A1700.
- 7. Tumang, J.R., Cherniack, E.P., Gietl, D.M., Cole, B.C., Russo, C., and Friedman, S.M. (1991) T helper cell dependent, microbial superantigen-induced murine B cell activation: polyclonal and antigen specific antibody responses. J. Immunol. 147 (2): 432-8.
- 8. Russo, C., Cherniack, E.P., Wali, A., and Weksler, M.E. (1992) Non-MHC-restricted antigen-specific T cells in old mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 90: 11718-11722.
- 9. Wali, A. Cherniack, E.P, Ehleiter, D., Doria, G., Gross., P., Russo, C., and Weksler, M.E. (1992) Revaccination augments anti- influenza antibody response in elderly humans. Aging: Immun. Inf. Dis. 3 (4): 185-194.
- 10. Wei, C.-F., Wali, A., Cherniack, E.P., Saririan, K. Weksler, M.E., Russo, C., and Thorbecke, G.J. (1992) Correlation between the ability of elderly individuals to respond to influenza vaccination and the capacity of their peripheral blood lymphocytes to express receptors for IgD. Aging: Immun. Inf. Dis. 3 (4): 195-202.
- 11. Swenson, C.D., Cherniack, E.P., Russo, C., and Thorbecke, G.J. (1995) IgD-receptor up-regulation on human peripheral blood T cells in response to IgD in vitro or antigen in vivo correlates with the antibody response to influenza vaccination. Eur. J. Immunol. 26: 340-344.
- 12. Cherniack, E.P. (1999) Pulmonary rehabilitation in the elderly "Pulmonary Rehabilitative Medicine" (Cherniack, N.S., Homma, I, and Altose, M., eds). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill.
- 13. Cherniack E.P. (1999) "Smoking cessation in the elderly and in pulmonary rehabilitation" in "Pulmonary Rehabilitative Medicine" (Cherniack N.S., Homma, I, and Altose, M., eds). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill.
- 14. Cherniack, E.P., Caprio, D, Fischer, A, and Tuckman, J.T. (1999) A novel device for walking training in the elderly. Physiotherapy 85(3): 144-148.
- 15. Cherniack, E.P., Senzel R., and Pan, C.X. (2001) Female gender and education are the strongest correlates of use of alternative medicine by the elderly. J Alt. Complement. Med. 7(3): 277-80.
- 16. Cherniack, E.P. (2002) The use of informed consent for medical research by the elderly. Exp. Aging Res. 28(2): 183-198.
- 17. Cherniack, E.P. and Pan, C.X. (2002) Alternative medicine use by older individuals: rationale, and perceptions of safety and efficacy Alt. Comp. Ther. 8(5): 291-4.
- 18. Cherniack, E.P. (2002) Increasing use of DNR orders in the elderly worldwide: whose choice is it? J. Med. Ethics 28: 303-307.
- 19. Cherniack, E. P. (2003) The use of alternative medicine by the elderly and the doctor-patient relationship in “Alternative medicine in the elderly” (Cherniack E.P., and Cherniack N.S., eds.), Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag.
- 20. Kropsky, B,. Shi, Y., and Cherniack, E.P. (2002) Incidence of deep venous thrombosis in nursing home residence using megesterol acetate. The Gerontologist 42(1):3.
- 21. Kropsky, B,. Shi, Y., and Cherniack, E.P. (2003) Incidence of deep venous thrombosis in nursing home residence using megesterol acetate. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 5(1): 255-6.
- 22. Cherniack,E.P. (2003) Implications of the use of DNR orders for the elderly. Internet Journal of Law, Health Care and Ethics, 1(2).
- 23. Cherniack, E.P., Pan C. X. (2004) Racial differences in the use of alternative medicine by the elderly. Alt. Comp. Ther. 10(2): 106-8.
- 24. Cherniack, E.P. (2006) The use of alternative medicine for the treatment of insomnia in the elderly. Psychogeriatrics 6: 18-27.
- 25. Cherniack N.S. and Cherniack, E.P.(2006) Respiratory System. In “Encyclopedia of Gerontology”, (Birren J, ed.), Amsterdam, Elsevier.
- 26. Cherniack, E.P.(2006) The potential use of alternative therapies for the treatment of urinary incontinence in the elderly. Alt Med Rev, 11(3): 224-31.
- 27. Cherniack, E.P. (2007) Out of breath, asleep at the wheel. Respiration 74(1): 15.
- 28. Cherniack, E.P. (2007) VEGF and sleep apnea: clutching at straws in the night. Respiration 74(1): 17.
- 29. Cherniack, E.P., Sandals, L., Gillespie, D., Maymi, E., and Aguilar, E.(2007) The use of open-access scheduling for the elderly. J Qual Healthcare Nov/Dec: 45-9.
- 30. Cherniack, E.P., Florez H, Troen BR.(2007) Emerging therapies to treat frailty in the elderly. Alt Med Rev 12(3):246-58.
- 31. Florez, H.J., Cherniack, E.P., Gomez-Mari¬n, O., Roos, B.A., Levis, S., and Troen BR.(2007).Age Modifies the Impact of Vitamin D3 Supplementation on the 25-OH Vitamin D/ Parathyroid Hormone Ratio. J Bone Miner Res 22: S208.
- 32. Cherniack E, Florez H, Hollis B, Roos B, Levis S, Troen B. High Dose of Vitamin D3 Reduces the Prevalence of Hypovitaminosis D in Elderly Veterans.(2007) The Gerontologist. October 2007;47(1):13-14.
- 33. Cherniack, E.P., Troen B.R.(2008) Calciotropic Hormones. In “Osteoporosis in Older Persons: Pathophysiology and Therapeutic Approach.” Duque G (ed.) Heidelberg: Springer Verlag: Berlin).
- 34. Cherniack,E.P., Ceron-Fuentes, J., Florez, H., Sandals, L., Rodriguez, O., and Palacios, J.C.(2008) Influence of race and ethnicity on alternative medicine use in a population of multi-ethnic urban elderly. Comp Ther Clin Prac 14(2): 116-123.
- 35. Cherniack, E.P.(2008) Potential applications for alternative medicine to treat obesity in the elderly. Alt Med Rev, 13(1):34-42.
- 36. Cherniack, E.P., Levis-Dusseau, S., and Troen, B.R.(2008) Hypovitaminosis D: a stealthy epidemic that requires treatment. Geriatrics 63(4):24-30.
- 37. Cherniack, E.P., Sandals, L., Brooks, L., and Mintzer, M.(2008) Pilot trial of a survey instrument to establish the hurricane preparedness of and medical impact on a vulnerable population. Prehosp Disaster Med 23(3): 240–247.
- 38. Cherniack, E.P. (2008) Obesity and the aging respiratory system. Curr Resp Med Rev: 4(2): 116-21
- 39. Cherniack, E.P., and Cherniack, N.S. (2008) Bariatric surgery and its effects on the respiratory system. Curr Resp Med Rev 4(2): 131-6.
- 40. Cherniack, E.P.(2008) The impact of natural disasters on the elderly. Am J Disast Med 3(3): 133-40.
- 41. Cherniack, E.P., Florez, H., Roos, B.A., Troen, B.R., and Levis, S.(2008) Hypovitaminosis D in the elderly: from bone to brain. J Nutr Hlth Aging 12(6): 366-73.
- 42. Cherniack N.S., Cherniack E.P.(2008) Editorial: Seeing the BIG Picture: A Weighty Matter for Pulmonary Physicians . Curr Resp Med Rev 4(2):77-8.
- 43. Cherniack, E.P., Troen, B.R., Florez, H., Roos, B.A., and Levis, S.(2009) Some new food for thought: The role of vitamin D in the mental health of older adults. Curr Psych Rep 11(1): 12-9.
- 44. Cherniack, E.P.(2009) Too old and thin to get sleep apnea? Don’t hold your breath. Respiration, in press.
- 45. Cherniack, E.P, Cherniack, N.S.(2008) Obstructive sleep apnea, metabolic syndrome, and age: will geriatricians be caught asleep on the job?Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, in press.
- 46. Cherniack, E.P.(2008) Would patients be better off if they were given more placebos? (submitted to Int Med)
- PUBLICATIONS-OTHER Reports to Government Agencies: 1. Report to the State of Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (2003-2004:F2). Rodriguez O, Paniagua MA, Villegas C, Cherniack P, Ribera V, & Roos BA. Report on specific objectives and assessment methods for falls competencies for health-care professionals-in-training, including establishment of a specialty referral clinic for demonstrating the best practices in evaluation and management of falls, including post-fall counseling.
- 2. Report to the State of Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (2003-2004:G1). Rodriguez O, Ruiz JG, Smith M, Paniagua MA, Villegas C, Cherniack P, Ribera V, McEntire A, & Roos BA. Report on follow-up meetings to frame specific training objectives and assessment approaches for the development of computerized teaching aids for falls and falls-related injury prevention and management.
- Presentations at Scientific Meetings 1 Cherniack E.P., Florez, H., Hollis B., Roos B.A., Levis S., Troen, B.R. High dose of Vitamin D3 Reduces the Prevalence of Hypovitaminosis D in Elderly Veterans. Abstract presented at Gerontological Society of America meeting Nov 17, 2007, San Francisco, CA.