Ronald J. Benveniste, M.D., Ph.D.
- Fax: 305-575-3255
- American Board of Neurological Surgery
- Neurological Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Neurological Surgery
- Chief of Neurosurgery, UMHC/SCCC
- Neuro-oncology Site Disease Group Co-chair, SCCC
Areas of specialization include treatment of brain tumors, pituitary tumors, endoscopic neurosurgery, hydrocephalus, and stereotactic radiosurgery.
Laboratory studies on the molecular mechanisms of brain metastasis; clinical studies of glioma, brain metastasis, and pituitary tumors
Resident Research Prize
2007 Neurosurgical Oncology Fellowship
University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
2006 Neurosurgery Residency
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
2000 M.D. / Ph.D.
University of Miami
- Benveniste RJ, Ferraro N, Tsimpas A. Yield and Utility of Routine Postoperative Imaging After Resection of Brain Metastases. Journal of Neuro-Oncology, Epublished ahead of print, April 16, 2014.
- Hayes SB, Benveniste RJ, Morcos JJ, Aziz-Sultan MA, Elhammady MS. Retrospective comparison of craniotomy and decompressive craniectomy for surgical evacuation of nontraumatic, supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage. Neurosurg Focus. 2013 May;34(5):E3
- Gaynor BG, Benveniste RJ, Lieberman S, Casiano R, Morcos JJ. Acellular dermal allograft for sellar repair after transsphenoidal approach to pituitary adenomas. J Neurol Surg B 74:155-159, 2013.
- Chaudhry N, Ahmad F, Blieden C, Benveniste R. Brainstem anaplastic glioma in patients with acquired immune deficiency syndrome: Case report and review of literature. BMJ Case reports, Feb 4, 2013.
- Kahn DE, Ferraro N, Benveniste RJ. 3 cases of primary intracranial hemorrhage associated with "Molly", a purified form of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA). J Neurol Sci, 323:257-60, 2012.
- Warsch S, Hosein PJ, Morris MI, Teomete U, Benveniste R, Chapman JR, Lossos IS. Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy following treatment with bedamustine and rituximab. Int J Hematol 96:274-8, 2012.
- 7. Szalontay L, Benveniste RJ, Schally AV, Vidaurre I, Nadji M, Zarandi M, Block NL, Kovacs M. Inhibitory effects of GHRH antagonists on human GH-secreting adenoma tissue. Neuroendocrinology 96:81-8, 2012.
- Zoeller GK, Benveniste RJ, Farhadi FA, Bruce J. Lymphocytic Hypophysitis in a Patient Presenting with Sequential Episodes of Optic Neuritis. Pituitary 15:101-105, 2012.
- Zoeller GK, Benveniste RJ, Landy HL, Jagid J, Morcos J: Outcomes and management strategies following nondiagnostic stereotactic biopsies of brain lesions. Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, 87:174-181, 2009.
- Quintero Wolfe S, Hood B, Barker J, Benveniste RJ: Primary central nervous system lymphoma mimicking pituitary apoplexy. Pituitary, 12:76-79, 2009.
- Benveniste RJ, Manzano G, Petito C: Multifocal glioblastoma multiforme with synchronous spontaneous hemorrhage: Case Report. Journal of Neuro-oncology, 89:55-58, 2008.
- Quayle FJ, Fialkowski EA, Benveniste RJ, Moley JF: Pheochromocytoma penetrance varies by RET mutation in MEN 2A. Surgery, 142:800-805, 2007.
- Germano IM, Uzzaman M, Benveniste RJ, Zaurovna M, Keller G: Apoptosis in human glioblastoma cells produced using embryonic stem cell-derived astrocytes expressing tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand. J Neurosurg, 105:88-95, 2006.
- Benveniste RJ, Purohit D, Byun HS: Pituicytoma presenting with spontaneous hemorrhage: Case report. Pituitary 9:53-8, 2006.
- Uzzaman M, Benveniste RJ, Keller G, Germano IM: Embryonic stem cell-derived astrocytes: A novel gene therapy vector for brain tumors. Neurosurgical Focus, 19(3):Article 6,2005.
- Benveniste RJ, Keller G, Germano IM: Embryonic stem cell-derived astrocytes expressing drug-inducible transgenes: differentiation and allotransplantation into the mouse brain. J Neurosurg, 103:101-9, 2005.
- Benveniste RJ, King WA, Lee JS, Delman BN, Post KD: Transsphenoidal reoperation for recurrent or residual pituitary adenoma. J Neurosurg, 102:1004-1012,2005.
- Benveniste RJ, Germano IM: Effect of factors predictive of intraoperative brain shift on image-guided resection of malignant brain tumors. Surg Neurol, 63:542-548,2005.
- Benveniste RJ, King WA, Walsh J, Lee JS, Naidich TP, Post KD: Surgery for Rathke cleft cyst: surgical techniques and outcomes. J Neurosurg, 101:577-584,2004.
- Quayle FJ, Benveniste RJ, DeBenedetti MK, Wells SA, Moley JF: Hereditary medullary thyroid carcinoma in patients greater than 50 years old. Surgery, 136: 1116-20, 2004.
- Benveniste RJ, Germano IM: Evaluation of factors predicting accurate resection of high-grade gliomas by using frameless stereotactic guidance. Neurosurgical Focus, 14(2): Article 5, 2003.
- Benveniste RJ, Taghert PH: Cell type-specific regulatory sequences control expression of the Drosophila FMRF-NH2 neuropeptide gene. J Neurobiol, 38:507-520,1999.
- Benveniste RJ, Thor S, Thomas JB, Taghert PH: Cell type-specific regulation of the Drosophila FMRF-NH2 neuropeptide gene by Apterous, a LIM homeodomain transcription factor. Development, 125:4757-4765, 1998.
- Nayar VV, Benveniste RJ, Lang FF. A novel technique for planning surgical approaches to the pineal region using external cranial landmarks. J Neurosurg, 113:1000-1003, 2010.
Dr. Benveniste attended University of Miami as an undergraduate, and received an MD and PhD from Washington University in St. Louis. He completed neurosurgery residency at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York and a neurosurgical oncology fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.