Frances Valdes, M.D.
- Office: 305-270-3435
- Fax: 305-270-3408
- American Board of Internal Med-Hematology
- American Board of Internal Med-Medical Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- Hematology/Oncology - Internal Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Esophageal and Stomach Cancer
Head & Neck Cancer
July 2003- City of Hope National Medical Center, Department of Medical Oncology,
Present Duarte, CA. The HIV Protease Inhibitor Nelfinavir Inhibits Human SW872 Liposarcoma Clonogenicity by Inducing Apoptosis and is Associated with an Increase in Levels of SREBP-1. Abstract submitted for AACR meeting 2004.
Preceptor: Dr. Warren Chow.
1995 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Dept. of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Association studies of the Trp64Arg mutation in the beta-3-adrenergic receptor gene in participants of the Baltimore Longitudinal Study on Aging.
Role: PCR analysis. Preceptor: Dr. J. Walston
1993-1994 Duke University School of Medicine, Dept. of OB-GYN/Endocrinology, Durham, NC. Effects of anandamide on luteinizing hormone secretion in the ovariectomized rat. Role: Joint primary investigator. Preceptor: Dr. L. Tyrey
1992 VAMC, University of Miami, School of Medicine, Miami, FL
Knowledge, attitudes and risk-assessments of cardiovascular disease of women patients. Role: Administering questionnaires and calculating 5-and 10-year risk of cardiovascular events. Preceptor: P.V. Caralis, M.D., J.D.
1991 Duke University, Department of Zoology, Durham, NC
Patterning of song repertoire variation in the song sparrow.
Role: Data analysis Preceptor: Dr. S. Nowicki
2002-2005 Fellow- Department of Medical Oncology and Theraputics Research
City of Hope National Medical Center,
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
1998-1999 Internship, Department of Internal Medicine
University of California
1994-1998 Doctor of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
1990-1994 B.S. Biological Sciences, magna cum laude
- Caralis, P., Dybuco, J., Valdes, F.: Cardiovascular disease in women: Attitudes and risk behavior. Clin. Res. 41: 353A, 1993.
- Nowicki, S., Podos, J., Valdes, F.: Temporal patterning of within-song type and between-song type variation in song repertoires. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 34: 329-335, 1994.
- Walston, J., Silver, K., Laheri, A., Valdes, F., et al.: The Trp64Arg beta-3-adrenergic receptor variant is not associated with the insulin resistance syndrome in participants of the Baltimore Longitudinal Study on Aging (BLSA). J. Gerontology
- Valdes, F., Chow, W.A.: The HIV protease inhibitor Nelfinavir inhibits human SW872 liposarcoma clonogenicity by inducing apoptosis and is associated with an increase in levels of SREBP-1. AACR Meeting Abstracts, Mar 2004; 2004: 123. Abstract# 535
- F. Valdes, J. H. Doroshow, W. Chow, L. Leong, K. Margolin, R. Morgan, P. Twardowski, Z. Al-Kadhimi, P. Frankel, G. Somlo: Tandem High-Dose Chemotherapy and Peripheral Stem Cell Rescue in Patients with Advanced Soft Tissue Sarcomas, Ewing’s/PNET and Rhabdomyosarcoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2005 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings. Vol 23, No. 16S, Part I of II (June 1 Supplement), 2005: 9065.
- Chow, W.A., Guo, S., Valdes, F.: HIV protease inhibitor (PI) therapy for liposarcoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2006 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings Part I. Vol 24, No. 18S (June 20 Supplement), 2006: 9564.
- Chow, W.A., Pan, J., Mott, M., Valdes, F., et al.: Phase I study of nelfinavir in liposarcoma. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology.