Gianluca Iacobellis, M.D., Ph.D.
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Director of the University of Miami Hospital Diabetes Service
- Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dapagliflozin and Epicardial Fat in patients with type 2 diabetes
Effects of Liraglutide On Epicardial Fat In Type 2 Diabetic Subjects
Internal Career Award, McMaster University
Pfizer Competitive Awards Program for Cardiovascular Proposals
Cardiovascular Obesity Research and Management Department of Medicine, McMaster University,
Centre for Human, Nutrition, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Centre of Dallas,
University of Rome "La Sapienza"
2000 Residency in Endocrinology
University of Rome “La Sapienza”,
Centrum for Metabolism & Endocrinology, Karolinska Institutet,
1994 MD degree, Medicine
University of Rome “La Sapienza”,
- Iacobellis G, Zaki MC, Garcia D, Willens HJ.Epicardial fat in atrial fibrillation and heart failure. Horm Metab Res. 2014;46:587-90
- Iacobellis G, Diaz S, Mendez A, Goldberg R.Increased epicardial fat and plasma leptin in type 1 diabetes independently of obesity.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2014;24:725-9
- Letizia C, Petramala L, Di Gioia CR, Chiappetta C, Zinnamosca L, Marinelli C, Iannucci G, Ciardi A, De Toma G, Iacobellis G.Leptin and adiponectin mRNA expression from the adipose tissue surrounding the adrenal neoplasia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Oct 14
- Iacobellis G. Epicardial adipose tissue in endocrine and metabolic diseases. Endocrine. 2014 May;46(1):8-15
- Iacobellis G, Bianco AC. Epicardial adipose tissue: emerging physiological, pathophysiological and clinical features. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2011;22:450-7
- Iacobellis G, Malavazos AE.Pericardial adipose tissue, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease risk factors: the Jackson Heart Study: comment on Liu et Al. Diabetes Care. 2010 Sep;33(9):e127
- Iacobellis G, Willens HJ.Echocardiographic epicardial fat: a review of research and clinical applications. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2009;22:1311-9
- Iacobellis G, Singh N, Wharton S, Sharma AM.Substantial changes in epicardial fat thickness after weight loss in severely obese subjects. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:1693-7.
- Iacobellis G, Sharma AM.Obesity and the heart: redefinition of the relationship Obes Rev. 2007;8:35-9
- Iacobellis G, Corradi D, Sharma AM.Epicardial adipose tissue: anatomic, biomolecular and clinical relationships with the heart. Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med. 2005; 2:536-43
- Iacobellis G, Leonetti F.Epicardial adipose tissue and insulin resistance in obese subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Nov;90(11):6300-2
- Iacobellis G, Ribaudo MC, Assael F, Vecci E, Tiberti C, Zappaterreno A, Di Mario U, Leonetti F.Echocardiographic epicardial adipose tissue is related to anthropometric and clinical parameters of metabolic syndrome: a new indicator of cardiovascular risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Nov;88(11):5163-8
Dr Gianluca Iacobellis is a physician-scientist, M.D., Ph.D. with a full international training in endocrinology and strong research and clinical expertise in obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular risk.
Dr Iacobellis has authored more than 100 peer-reviewed papers and 10 textbooks. His research is focused on the interplay between adipose tissue and the heart. Dr Iacobellis is considered the world-wide leading expert in the epicardial fat, a new cardiovascular risk factor. Dr Iacobellis is leading several clinical projects on emerging diabetes/obesity pharmacotherapy targeting the epicardial fat. A native of Rome, Italy, Dr Iacobellis received his MD degree cum laude in 1994 from the University of Roma, La Sapienza; he was a Research Fellow at the Centrum for Metabolism & Endocrinology, Karolinska University, Stockholm, Sweden in 1999; he became Specialist in Endocrinology in 2000 and obtained his PhD in Endocrinology, Metabolic and Cardiovascular Disorders in 2004. In 2004, Dr Iacobellis was then an invited Post-doctoral Clinical Research Fellow at the Center for Human Nutrition, South-Western Medical Center, University of Texas, Dallas, USA. In 2005 he moved to Canada as Clinical Research Fellow in the Cardiovascular Obesity Research & Management Department, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario. Since 2006 to May 2010 Dr Iacobellis was Associate Professor of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, McMaster University and Director of Bariatric Endocrinology at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. In 2010 he accepted an offer from the University of Miami, FL, USA. From 2010 to 2013 he was Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine, University of Miami, Division of Endocrinology, and Director of Diabetes Clinic at Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami. Since 2013 Dr Iacobellis is Professor of Clinical Medicine, Endocrinology, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Miami, and Director of the University of Miami Hospital Diabetes Service