Gianluca Iacobellis, M.D., Ph.D.
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Director of the University of Miami Hospital Diabetes Service
- Professor of Clinical Medicine
Pre and post Bariatric Surgery management
Inpatient diabetes care
Dr Iacobellis is considered the world-wide leading expert in the epicardial fat, a new cardiovascular risk factor. Dr Iacobellis pioneered the research on the epicardial adipose tissue. He proposed and validated a simple ultrasound technique to measure the epicardial fat thickness, a new tool in both clinical and research setting. His studies indicate the active role of epicardial fat in coronary artery and metabolic diseases. Presently, Dr Iacobellis is exploring the potential of epicardial fat as brown fat and its unique transcriptsome. He is principal investigator of several funded clinical trials on emerging diabetes/obesity pharmacotherapy targeting the epicardial fat. Dr Iacobellis has authored more than 100 peer-reviewed papers and 10 textbooks. His research has been published in high rank journals, such as Nature Cardiovascular Clinical Practice, Trends of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Journal of Clinical of Endocrinology and Metabolism, American Journal of Cardiology, Obesity.
Dapagliflozin and Epicardial Fat in patients with type 2 diabetes
Effects of Liraglutide On Epicardial Fat In Type 2 Diabetic Subjects
Internal Career Award, McMaster University
Pfizer Competitive Awards Program for Cardiovascular Proposals
Cardiovascular Obesity Research and Management Department of Medicine, McMaster University,
Centre for Human, Nutrition, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Centre of Dallas,
University of Rome "La Sapienza"
2000 Residency in Endocrinology
University of Rome “La Sapienza”,
Centrum for Metabolism & Endocrinology, Karolinska Institutet,
1994 MD degree, Medicine
University of Rome “La Sapienza”,
- Iacobellis G, Zaki MC, Garcia D, Willens HJ.Epicardial fat in atrial fibrillation and heart failure. Horm Metab Res. 2014;46:587-90
- Iacobellis G, Diaz S, Mendez A, Goldberg R.Increased epicardial fat and plasma leptin in type 1 diabetes independently of obesity.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2014;24:725-9
- Letizia C, Petramala L, Di Gioia CR, Chiappetta C, Zinnamosca L, Marinelli C, Iannucci G, Ciardi A, De Toma G, Iacobellis G.Leptin and adiponectin mRNA expression from the adipose tissue surrounding the adrenal neoplasia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Oct 14
- Iacobellis G. Epicardial adipose tissue in endocrine and metabolic diseases. Endocrine. 2014 May;46(1):8-15
- Iacobellis G, Bianco AC. Epicardial adipose tissue: emerging physiological, pathophysiological and clinical features. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2011;22:450-7
- Iacobellis G, Malavazos AE.Pericardial adipose tissue, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease risk factors: the Jackson Heart Study: comment on Liu et Al. Diabetes Care. 2010 Sep;33(9):e127
- Iacobellis G, Willens HJ.Echocardiographic epicardial fat: a review of research and clinical applications. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2009;22:1311-9
- Iacobellis G, Singh N, Wharton S, Sharma AM.Substantial changes in epicardial fat thickness after weight loss in severely obese subjects. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:1693-7.
- Iacobellis G, Sharma AM.Obesity and the heart: redefinition of the relationship Obes Rev. 2007;8:35-9
- Iacobellis G, Corradi D, Sharma AM.Epicardial adipose tissue: anatomic, biomolecular and clinical relationships with the heart. Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med. 2005; 2:536-43
- Iacobellis G, Leonetti F.Epicardial adipose tissue and insulin resistance in obese subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Nov;90(11):6300-2
- Iacobellis G, Ribaudo MC, Assael F, Vecci E, Tiberti C, Zappaterreno A, Di Mario U, Leonetti F.Echocardiographic epicardial adipose tissue is related to anthropometric and clinical parameters of metabolic syndrome: a new indicator of cardiovascular risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Nov;88(11):5163-8