Lazaros J. Lekakis, M.D.
- Office: 305-243-9127
- Fax: 305-243-9161
- American Board of Internal Med-Hematology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Med-Medical Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- Hematology/Oncology - Internal Medicine
- Assistant Professor in Hematology/Oncology/Blood and Marrow Transplantation
Management of relapsed leukemias, lymphomas and myelomas.
Prevention and management of Graft versus Host Disease
Conditioning chemotherapy before stem cell transplants
Best teaching Attending at the Hem/Onc Dept (Univ of Kentucky).
Alfred Pick award for academic excellence as a medical resident
Awarded as Intern of the year at Michael Reese Hospital (1st among 28 interns).
Scholarship from the Papadakis' foundation for medical studies abroad
Scholarship from the Kontoleon foundation for medical studies abroad
Scholarships from the Nick Pappas foundation - Excellence is Academic Performance
Medical school ranks in each year: 10, 8, 6, 5, 2, 5.
: Scholarships from the Greek Ministry of Education for excellent academic performance in the Medical School.
2005-2006 Fellowship in Medical Oncology and Hematology
2002-2005 Fellowship in Medical Oncology and Hematology
1999-2002 Internal Medicine Residency
Michael Reese Hospital
University Medical School
- Atsaves V, Lekakis L, Drakos E, Leventaki V, Ghaderi M, Baltatzis GE, Chioureas D, Jones D, Feretzaki M, Liakou C, Panayiotidis P, Gorgoulis V, Patsouris E, Medeiros LJ, Claret FX, Rassidakis GZ: The oncogenic JUNB/CD30 axis contributes to cell cycle deregulation in ALK+ anaplastic large cell lymphoma. Br J Haematol. 2014 Aug 22.
- Pimentel A, Velez M, Barahona LJ, Swords R, Lekakis L.: New prospects for drug development: the hedgehog pathway revealed. Focus on hematologic malignancies. Future Oncol 2013 May;9(5):681-697
- Lekakis LJ, Cooper BW, de Lima MG: Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation for Acute Myeloid Leukemia in First Complete Remission: Are We Closer to Knowing Who Needs It? Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2014 Mar 26
- Lekakis L, Tryfonopoulos D, Pistamatzian N, Panopoulos C, Koumakis G, Demiri S, Efremidis A. Salvage Chemotherapy with Cisplatin and 5-Fluorouracil in Metastatic Breast Cancer. Particular Activity against Liver Metastases. Anticancer Res. 2012 May; 32(5):1833.
- Lekakis L, Tryfonopoulos D, Fakinos G, Panopoulos C, Theochari M, Koumakis G, Demiri S, Efremidis A. A Case of Paraneoplastic Autoimmune Pancreatitis:Mini-Review of Paraneoplastic Syndromes in Breast Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2012 August; 32 (8):3311-3314
- Hillard RA, Lekakis LJ, Pulliam JF. Increased polyclonal CD5(+) B1a lymphocytes in a haploidentical stem cell transplant recipient. Cytometry B Clin Cytom. 2011 Mar;80(2):119-21.
- Ke J, Chelvarajan RL, Sindhava V, Robertson DA, Lekakis L, Jennings CD, Bondada S. Anomalous constitutive Src kinase activity promotes B lymphoma survival and growth. Mol Cancer. 2009 Dec 31;8(1):132
- Baraboutis IG, Marinos L, Lekakis LJ, Papastamopoulos V, Georgiou O, Tsagalou EP, Rondogianni P, Apostolidis J, Papadaki T, Skoutelis AT. Long-term complete regression of nodal marginal zone lymphoma transformed into diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with highly active antiretroviral therapy alone in human immunodeficiency virus infection. Am J Med Sci. 2009 Dec;338(6):517-21.
- Lekakis LJ, Lawson A, Prante J et al: Fatal rhizopus pneumonia in allogeneic stem cell transplant patients despite posaconazole prophylaxis: two cases and review of the literature. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2009 Aug;15(8
- Lekakis LJ, Macrinici V, Baraboutis IG, Mitchell B, Howard DS. BK virus nephropathy after allogeneic stem cell transplantation: A case report and literature review. Am J Hematol. 2009 Apr;84 (4):243-6.
- Lekakis L, de Padua Silva L, de Lima M. Novel preparative regimens in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Current pharmaceutical design 2008;14:1923-1935.
- Mylona E, Baraboutis IG, Georgiou O, Rondogianni D, Lekakis LJ, Papastamopoulos V, Apostolidis I, Skoutelis AT. Solid variant of primary effusion lymphoma in successfully treated HIV infection: a case report. International journal of STD & AIDS 2008;19:570-572.
- Lekakis L, de Lima M. Reduced-intensity conditioning and allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for acute myeloid leukemia. Expert review of anticancer therapy 2008;8:785-798.
- Baraboutis IG, Papastamopoulos V, Charitsis G, Lekakis LJ, Vaslamatzis MM, Skoutelis AT. First-time use of bevacizumab for aggressive, metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma in an HIV/hepatitis B virus coinfected patient: a case report. European journal of gastroenterology & hepatology 2008;20:472-473
- Mylona EE, Baraboutis IG, Lekakis LJ, Georgiou O, Papastamopoulos V, Skoutelis A. Multicentric Castleman's disease in HIV infection: a systematic review of the literature. AIDS reviews 2008;10:25-35.
- Lekakis L, Giralt S, Couriel D, Shpall EJ, Hosing C, Khouri IF, Anderlini P, Korbling M, Martin T, Champlin RE, de Lima M. Phase II study of unrelated cord blood transplantation for adults with high-risk hematologic malignancies. Bone marrow transplantation 2006;38:421-426.
- Psyrri A, Kwong M, DiStasio S, Lekakis L, et al. Cisplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent cisplatin chemoradiotherapy for organ preservation and cure in patients with advanced head and neck cancer: long-term follow-up. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:3061-3069