Nurse Navigators at Sylvester
While advances in cancer treatment have saved millions of lives over the years, a cancer diagnosis continues to be a devastating experience. Patients are often seen by multiple physicians to determine their treatment plan, which can include surgery, radiation, and/or chemotherapy depending upon the diagnosis . Dealing with more complex treatment options, decisions, logistics and financial issues, produces high levels of stress, fear and uncertainty to the patients.
Our Nurse Navigators are specialty trained nurses who understand the devastating loss of control when you or someone you love is faced with cancer. They are knowledgeable and caring nurses who truly understand cancer and its physical challenges. They serve as liaisons between physicians and patients to enhance effective communication and excellence in oncology patient care.
Our mission is to improve the cancer experience for every patient providing better outcomes. Your care is our top priority. We are here to provide compassion, guidance and support throughout your complex treatment journey.
Across communities and cultures, people place high value on their relationships with their health providers. Such relationships requires time, commitment, communication, and understanding. Our teams of highly specialized trained Nurse Navigators assist patients at all stages of cancer care, from screening and diagnosis to treatment and survivorship in an evidence based clinical practice model.
The nurse navigator will:
- Answer your clinical questions from the first call and prepare you for your visit
- Greet and introduce you to the care team
- Provide access to care in an efficient time frame
- Assist to overcome barriers to care by education and support, empowering to make informed treatment decisions
- Connect to all available resources within the University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center (SCCC), and the community.
- Understand your condition and treatment strategy
- Communicate among physicians and other healthcare providers on your behalf
- Respect your wishes and find solutions that are fitting to your lifestyle and diagnoses.
- Access additional care services , such as nutritional counseling, psychosocial counseling, complimentary medicine and rehabilitation
- Act as your advocate and remain a constant as your cancer journey evolves.
To make a first appointment with a Sylvester cancer specialist, call 305-243-5302 or 877-243-1056