Stem Cell Transplant
Adult Stem Cell Transplant Program
The Adult Stem Cell Transplant Program treats patients with various types of cancer and hematological diseases, including:
- Leukemia (Acute and Chronic)
- Non-Hodgkin’s and Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Multiple myeloma
- Severe aplastic anemia
- Myelodysplasia and Myelofibrosis
- Germ Cell Tumors
The program operates a pre- and post-transplant outpatient clinic as well as an inpatient unit at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center/UMHC—University of Miami Hospital & Clinics. The 13,964-square-foot inpatient unit opened at Sylvester/UMHC in 2011 with six apheresis chairs, twelve specialized transplant beds, and seven ICU beds.
The Adult Stem Cell Transplant Program (SCTP), which treats patients from 17 to 75 years old, is led by Krishna Komanduri, M.D., who also co-leads the Tumor Immunobiology Program at Sylvester. The Adult Stem Cell Transplant Program was established in 1992 and is accredited by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT). In May 2010, Sylvester opened an Outpatient Clinic designed for the unique needs of stem cell transplant patients. This outpatient treatment center has a dedicated waiting room and phlebotomy area, as well as 10 exam rooms with capability for handling infusions and transfusions required for the care of recently transplanted patients.
Before starting any type of treatment, you will meet with one of our transplant physicians and other members of our multidisciplinary transplant team to determine if a stem cell transplant is recommended for you.
To support stem cell research for cancer, Sylvester dedicated the Kalish Family Endowed Chair in Stem Cell Transplantation in 2010. The generous gift of the Kalish family will support Dr. Komanduri’s clinical and academic activities. Dr. Komanduri’s laboratory research is currently supported by grants from the National Institute of Health and the Bankhead-Coley Research Program.
The Sylvester Adult Stem Cell Transplant Program also offers opportunities to participate in clinical trials, including those developed by the Bone Marrow Transplant Clinical Trials Network, a consortium of academic stem cell transplant programs.
When to Seek a Stem Cell Transplant Consultation at Sylvester
The National Marrow Donor Program has established recommendations regarding the appropriate timing for a stem cell transplant consultation. Visit www.bethematch.org for more information.
Meet the Adult Stem Cell Transplant Team
Before starting any type of treatment, you will meet with one of Sylvester/UMHC’s transplant physicians and other members of our multidisciplinary transplant team to determine if a transplant is recommended for you.
- Krishna Komanduri, M.D., Professor of Medicine and SCTP Medical Director
- Denise Pereira, M.D., Assistant Professor Medicine
- Mark Goodman, M.D., Associate Professor Medicine
- John Byrnes, M.D., Professor of Medicine
- Lazaros Lekakis, M.D., Associate Professor Medicine
- Amer Beitinjaneh, M.D., Associate Professor Medicine
- Antonio Jimenez, M.D., Associate Professor Medicine
- Sherry Shariatmadar, M.D., Director, Transfusion Medicine & Stem Cell Collection
- Cara Benjamin, PhD, Director, Stem Cell Processing Laboratory
- Juan Ramirez, ARNP
- Pepita Jean, ARNP
- Michelle Sapp, DNP, ARNP
- Stephanie Khalil, ARNP
- Stacy Soares, ARNP
- Michelle Emokpae, ARNP
- Maikel Valdes, ARNP
- Peggy McNiece, RN, SCTP Manager
- Jessica Leyes, RN, Case Manager
- Giselle Cabrera, RN, Nurse Specialist
- Maria Santamaria, RN, Nurse Specialist
- Laurian Walters, Sr. Research Analyst
- Margaret Hillman Williams, Sr. Research Analyst
- Patty Gomez, Clinical Research Coordinator
- Monique Anderson, Finance Manager
- Rene Martell, Financial Case Manager
- Angela Smart, Financial Case Manager
- Debra Chinquee, ARNP, SCTP Transplant Administrator
- Claudette Edwards, RN, Quality Manager
- Jovi Martinez, Decision Support Analyst
- Humberto Elejalde, Sr. Systems Engineer
- Beatriz Mesana, Sr. Manager, Business Operations to Dr. Komanduri
- Keisha Rechourse, Administrative Assistant to Dr. Mark Goodman
- Carolyn Mickens, Administrative Assistant to Dr. John Byrnes
- Maxine Taylor, Administrative Assistant to Dr. Beitinjaneh & Dr. Jimenez