Alan Pollack, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor and Chair, Department of Radiation Oncology
Description of Research
Dr. Pollack’s research centers on Genitourinary (GU) malignancies with an emphasis on prostate cancer. He has been the principal investigator of a number of clinical trials that have dealt with contemporary radiotherapy questions related to radiation dose, fractionation and the concomitant use of androgen deprivation. A major emphasis of his laboratory is on tumor tissue biomarkers associated with prostate cancer outcome. Several biomarkers related to angiogenesis, cell cycle and apoptosis have been found to be correlated with response to radiotherapy, with or without androgen deprivation. More recently, Dr. Pollack’s laboratory has been examining the association between multiparametric MRI parameters (identified habitats) and gene expression in tissue obtained via MRI-guided prostate biopsies. The key objectives include reducing overdiagnosis and overtreatment and understanding the molecular characteristics of lethal prostate cancer.
- Principal investigator of a large ongoing cooperative group randomized trial of salvage radiotherapy for prostate cancer (RTOG 0534).
- Developed a biomarker model that identifies a prostate cancer population with a high rate of metastasis at 10 years after primary radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
- Applying unique methods of multiparametric MRI analysis to identify habitats in the prostate that are determinate of outcome and using this information to design radiotherapy approaches that escalate doses to high risk prostate subvolumes.
- Identifying the relationships between multiparametric MRI defined habitats and gene expression via MRI-targeted prostate biopsies.
Selected Cancer-Related Publications
- Zhang M, Ho A, Hammond EH, Suzuki Y, Bermudez RS, Lee RJ, Pilepich M, Shipley WU, Sandler H, Khor LY, Pollack A, Chakravarti A. Prognostic Value of Survivin in Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer: Study Based on RTOG 8610. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:1033-42, 2009. Read more »
- Konski A, Movsas B, Konopka M, Ma C, Price R, Pollack A. Developing a radiation error scoring system to monitor quality control events in a radiation oncology department. J Am Coll Radiol 6:45-50, 2009. Read more »
- Pollack A, Bae K, Khor LY, Al-Saleem T, Hammond ME, Venkatesan V, Byhardt RW, Asbell SO, Shipley WU, Sandler HM. The importance of protein kinase A in prostate cancer: relationship to patient outcome in Radiation Therapy Oncology Group trial 92-02. Clin Cancer Res 15:5478-84,2009. Read more »
- Khor LY, Bae K, Paulus R, Al-Saleem T, Hammond ME, Grignon DJ, Che M, Venkatesan V, Byhardt RW, Rotman M, Hanks GE, Sandler HM, Pollack A. MDM2 and Ki-67 Predict for Distant Metastasis and Mortality in Men Treated With Radiotherapy and Androgen Deprivation for Prostate Cancer: RTOG 92-02. J Clin Oncol 27:3177-84, 2009. Read more »
- Michalski JM, Roach M 3rd, Merrick G, Anscher MS, Beyer DC, Lawton CA, Lee WR, Pollack A, Rosenthal SA, Vijayakumar S, Carroll PR. ACR Appropriateness Criteria (R) on External Beam Radiation Therapy Treatment Planning for Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer Expert Panel on Radiation Oncology-Prostate. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74:667-672, 2009. Read more »
- Roach M 3rd, Waldman F, Pollack A. Predictive models in external beam radiotherapy for clinically localized prostate cancer. Cancer 115:3112-20, 2009. Read more »
- Abdel-Wahab M, Pollack A. Radiotherapy: encouraging early data for SBRT in prostate cancer. Nat Rev Urol 6:478-9,2009. Read more »
Leader of the Multidisciplinary Research Program: Tumor Biology Program
Collaborating in the Multidisciplinary Research Program(s):